Religion and Culture in Mexico

The Mexican culture has undergone a huge change in recent years. While we are expected of the right behavior when joining religious rites, the changes vary in various countries such as Mexico. –

“Much of Mexican culture revolves around religious values and the church, as well as the concept of family and inclusiveness.”

Talia Wagner, a marriage and family therapist -Los Angeles.

About 82% of the population are Catholics and others have adapted the Mayan culture as part of their beliefs. The remaining 18% is composed of other religious beliefs.

If you are planning to visit Mexico, you may want to plan your trip on fiestas that Mexicans celebrate year after year. Plan your trip earlier to get great accommodations within the premise. Read more about villas you can book.

Must-Experience Fiestas in Mexico

Day of the Dead (Dia de los Muertos)

The day of the dead is a fiesta celebrated throughout Mexico where every single region mark their ethnical mark to see the holidays. Little children who have died or the Angelitos or little angels are honored on November 1, All Saints Day. The older family members who have passed are honored on All Souls Day. Family altars are arranged and adorned with pictures, mementos as well as “ofrendas” or an act of offerings food, refreshments, and gifts. In a number of regions, families maintain vigils as well as feasts within the cemetery. In some areas, pan de muerto (sweet bread) are served.

Christmas Festivities

The Las Posadas marks the beginning of the Christmas season in Mexico where children who portrays the Holy Family when they first arrived in Bethlehem. They go from house to house within the neighborhood looking for shelter. By tradition, children will receive their gifts on Dia delos Santos Reyes, on January 6th, or the Three Kings Day. In recent years, the European way of gift giving is slowly taking over the traditional gift giving in Mexico.

Lenten Season and Easter

Mexico remembers Carnaval (Mardi Gras) with parades displaying of congeniality. The biggest celebrations are held in Veracruz and Mazatlan, popularly known for their big pre-Lenten celebrations. The dates do not fall on the same exact date but follow the Eastern calendar. People in mexico also commemorate Semana Santa (Holy Week), with galas and religious displays on Good Friday as well as Easter Sunday. They also celebrate the season by going to outdoors like the beach or mountains like a family vacation.